Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Prelude to a Pitch

It's funny how it actually happens, when you get the "green-light" to pitch someone you should always be prepared. Of course that is actually impossible if you've never done it before. It's exactly what happened to me, and yes I had asked people who have pitched what it was and it still was not enough to prepare me.

So the set-up for this was that I had reason to call a certain production office about an interview that a certain community college wanted to interview yours truly. So I called them and asked about that, while I was on-the-phone with the Public Relations person I told them very casually about a project I wanted to do that would be an addition to the project that said office was currently involved with.

The PR person then said, "Hmmm, that could work. Send me a written pitch and I will send it to the studio", I of course then began freaking out. She then went on to list some things that we should mention in our pitch. Internally it was some thing like "A studio?!?! Did she just drop the name of one of the executive prod-oh wait she's dropping it again like for sure some one with the power to do something about it right away is going to see it." Rambled like that internally for about 3 hours. Of course all of that energy I have built up inside, which is what it will stay like until I know they have the pitch and it's been decided one way or the other(so in other words forever)

I had of course mentioned I was a student, along with my buddy Rob(When I say we in this post I am talking about Rob and myself). She gave me some final tips and we then talked pleasantly about trying to make it in the industry and we hung up. Me with out an email and her forgetting me swiftly I am sure(not malicious thing she is just a very very busy person)

So that was approximately a 11 days ago.

BEAT

And time is still standing still. I wish I could fill in the details of the who and the what but if I do that I will for sure have to hit the "Epic Fail" button with both hands. That is of course after I am sued a ton(for what money I don't know, but my career would be over). Everyday that has passed since then I have been getting progressively more insane. I am in the middle of pre-production on this short and don't have all of the pieces that I need to complete the film. That on top of the fact that I have the biggest pitch of my life(so far) curled up in the back of my head going all the way through my heart and spine every minute of every day.

Then Finally,
last night I sent to several people that I trust a copy of what I think is a really good pitch. I've yet to hear back from anyone.
Oh I should mention that before I hung up with the PR person I did not get her email. Also the office moves every time the project moves. So I am consistently playing catch up. The last couple of times that I have caught up with the office I am given the run around by the office PA who answers the phone.

Something to the sound of "oh yeah SIR, I will give this message to her right away and make sure she gets it"

Emotionally this whole thing has been insane, I am not sure what more to tell you except to tell you that this blog is not enough to contain everything. The constant mild pressure the every day of letting yourself believe that it will happen and what that would mean to your life. Imagining working on the project you pitched and what that would look like. All I know is that I have to keep going.

Where things stand at the moment I am not sure if too much time has passed. Yeah, I know I should have asked for the email and emailed something that night. Ideally that is what I would have done and what I will do in the future(if possible). This is strange to say and I hope that it does not come off too smug but, I think that it is not going to matter. I think that the timing on this thing is going to be exactly what it needs to be. It's just a, I dunno, call it a gut feeling. I just think that when ever this pitch is seen it is going to be then put into action, I just feel like it's going to work out.

I dunno, maybe I have been watching too many episodes of "Entourage". I am very Vincent Chase about the whole thing. It just has to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment